Wednesday 14 January 2015

Morning Detox / Alkaline & anti Oestrogen Drink!





Start the day as you mean to go on! So much can happen during the day to get in the way of your good intentions, but I find if I do something right as soon as I wake up, the rest of the day is more likely to go well. And if I mess up, well it didn't ruin my day, and my morning drink will already have counteracted some of the bad... and if I go wrong, instead of writing the whole day off and falling off the wagon, I just accept it, move on and try and make my next meal better.


 Since New Year, I’ve been squeezing half a lemon, a teaspoon of apple cider vinegar and pomegranate juice diluted with some water as it’s quite strong and drinking this while I take my greens (I’m using green tablets at the moment) Why? I have been getting a swollen tummy- like a pregnant belly some days!, stomach pain and general digestive problems for ages, I have been tested for coeliac and that came back negative and I will get food intolerance tests done in case something is aggravating my stomach but until then, I thought id try and relieve the symptoms naturally. All these ingredients have been shows (in tests or anecdotally) to aid in digestive health so I thought I’d try it... and in the last couple of days, ive had no pain, no bloating and my abs have started showing again!

SO why this combo?

 Lemon juice

Although its acidic, it actually has an alkaline affect on the body, so it is like doing a morning detox! Some of the well known benefits of lemons are: Its rich in vitamin C, immune boosting, great at this time of year. It also contains citric acid (helps antioxidants work) potassium (helps nourish brain and nerve cells) calcium, phosphorus, magnesium and pectin fiber which is beneficial for colon health. It balances pH levels in the body, helps flush out toxins, It aids digestion, Its antibacterial, It strengthens the liver, It helps balance the calcium and oxygen levels in the liver, so can relieve heartburn, It benefits the skin, It helps maintain eye health. Lemon juice also helps replenish body salts after hard exercise, so it’s great to add to your water when you train or drink after training

 Apple Cider Vinegar

Apple Cider Vinegar has an alkalising effect on the body. It contains acetic acid (kills bacteria it’s may help with weight loss by increasing feeling of being full and as it has an effect on by regulating blood sugar. Unfiltered, organic apple cider vinegar aids digestion as it contains bacteria that aid digestion. It contains potassium; helps prevent dark circles under the eyes, fatigue, helps with high blood pressure, arterial and heart health.

Pomegranate Juice

High in antioxidants & has been found to be hormone balancing, inhibiting the conversion of testosterone to oestrogen. It plays a vital role in the secretion of enzymes which aid digestion and its one of your 5 a day.

Greens Powder

super foods, fruit powders and algae, including; Spirulina, Wheat grass, Acerola Berry, Broccoli, Spinach leaf, Pomegranate, Apple fibre, Tomato, Elderberry, Blueberry and Chlorella. Providing antioxidants, helps ensure I'm getting enough fruit and veg in my diet. (5 a day probably isn't really enough for ultimate recovery and performance for an athlete). A natural way to take a multivitamin & mineral.

So that's my day off to a great start! All these ingredients have other healthy properties but these are the main reasons why I have them in the morning.

I really love the alkaline diet, as it’s about moderation not extremes. Its 80:20 rule means you don't have to restrict or removed any food groups, you just make sure 80% of the food you eat is alkaline and 20% can be from acid forming foods, so it’s just a case of moderation of the foods that can be bad for us. (More on alkaline coming soon!)

I started to introduce anti estrogenic foods after I started to have a problem with watery fat / cellulite on my glute / hamstring tie in... a common side effect of excess oestrogen apparently. I started to do that a few months ago and definitely noticed a difference. I have also helped clients who have had similar issues with this approach and got great results. (More in this in another post coming soon)

Don't fancy this? Try squeezing lemon in your green tea for a simple morning energising and alkalising drink!

(apple cider vinegar should never be consumed undiluted as it is acidic until it reaches the digestive system, to protect your teeth from acidic drinks, use a straw!)
 

No comments:

Post a Comment